Jun 19, 2010

Upcycled Montessori-Style Crayon Holder



One of my favorite things in the Montessori classroom is the way they set out their art materials as though they are something to be treasured and displayed. The colored pencils are organized into matching colored holders (like these), and I've always wanted a set of my own (but not for $75!). Truth be told, my boys will use colored pencils and markers any day of the week, but crayons seem to always get passed over in favor of practically any other medium. Those poor, poor crayons needed some love and respect around here. I thought that maybe if I set out the crayons in a pretty display that the boys would be more apt to use them on a regular basis - and I was right!


While packing school lunches one evening, I realized that these fruit cups would be the perfect size for crayon holders. So, instead of being patient and waiting for a bunch of empty cups at the end of the week, I started opening and dumping seven containers of fruit into a big Tupperware for storage - hey, they can always be reportioned into little Tupperware containers for lunches - I've got to get moving on this inspiration!


If you're lucky enough to have a rainbow of spray paint, it would really come in handy right about now. I only had about half the rainbow, so after removing the labels, I used acrylic paint to give each can three coats of paint followed by two coats of glossy varnish to seal it. Mitch rummaged up a piece of scrap 1x3 for me, and I made use of my white spray paint to give it a quick coat.


Mitch screwed each can to the piece of wood for me (thank you!), because I'm not quite as handy with the drill as he is.



Now it's time to add the crayons!





The boys are loving crayons these days - yippee! I've been able to leave them sitting out on their art table for over two weeks now without a single spill or crayon mess mishap...though you might find yourself getting into serious in-depth discussions with your three-year-old over whether aquamarine belongs in the green or the blue container :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bright idea! (pun totally intended) Kudos on spotting those tins, and saving the $75 vs. buying them. Great idea


http://iheartjennysart.com

Lessons Learned said...

love love pretty organization!

annies home said...

love this idea will do this for both for my granddaughter as well as for my sunday school first grade class room thanks for sharing

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Love it!! And it looks so stinkin' cute too!! Great idea!!

creativejewishmom/Sara said...

Hi Heidi, I love this! You really did a great job of giving the crayons their rightful place amongst the kiddie craft supplies! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday! hope to see you again this week and happy 4th!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I LOVE this. What a great idea for a craft room!

I would love, love, love it if you stopped by and linked up to my first linky party for my Christmas in July homemade gift event.

I hope to see you there!

Just Another Day in Paradise
www.zitzmanfam.blogspot.com

danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I cannot wait to make these! Thank you for such a great idea!!

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Hi! You've got a great blog here and I love this idea. I host a toddler link up party every tuesday called Tot Tuesdays. Would love it if you'd stop by and link up this idea along with the many other great ideas you have for toddlers. Have a great day!
http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

Michelle said...

Super cute! I would love to do something similar for my three year old. How many crayons does it hold?

Kelly said...

such a beautiful display of color.

visiting from Be Different...Act Normal

Wishes and Whimsy said...

Love this idea! I have been looking for holders to do the same thing with our crayons for a while but had not found anything that would work. My kids would love this!

Jaymerz said...

What a great idea, thanks so much for sharing. I think my kids will be getting one of these very soon.

Romanian Princess said...

This is seriously the most cute thing ever! I wish I had this as a child, my crayons were strung around the house and I could never find them when I needed them! Thank you so much for the fun idea!

Please follow me:
http://basicallyformyself.blogspot.com
Thanks, Nicole Mariana

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I really really love these - they're so pretty!

Margo said...

eeep - that is so cute! I could totally make that. Thanks for the inspiration!