Jul 8, 2008

Hot, Hot, Hot (and smokey)!

It's barely past 8:30 am, and it's already 95 degrees outside. The forecast today called for a high of 108, but then again, yesterday it said 104, and the thermometer on my car actually read as high as 110 when I was driving to pick up the boys at 4:30 from Traci's...so I'm guessing today will be at least 111 here...and it's supposed to get even hotter on Wednesday and Thursday! Our severe lack of trees around here means minimal shade, and even hotter temperatures than the weatherman predicts for Sacramento. It's also STILL super smokey, and the most horrible words I heard on the news last night in regards to the smoke and fires were "it looks like it could remain this way for the entire summer." Good God, let's hope not, pleeeeeze. They said that this is the first time in 30 years that they've had to call in the National Guard to help with the fire fighting efforts. The air quality prediction for the rest of the week is deemed "unhealthy," and the newspaper headlines read "Sacramento to Sweat it Out in Triple Digit Heat All Week" and "Stay Inside, Doctor Urges." Even with our air conditioner cranking around the clock, I couldn't get it to drop below 82 in our house yesterday. I'm sorry if I sound bitter and cranky, but the kids are antsy to get outside, and then as soon as they step outside they start crying that it's "too hot" and "peeeyew...stinky." Even water play isn't that appealing to them anymore, and it's starting to feel downright miserable around here. I can't even imagine having to work outdoors in this like Mitch does!

Tomorrow I will have both of the boys at home with me for the day, so we're going to attempt to make animal puppets from a kit Sawyer picked out at Joann's yesterday. I've got a whole slew of projects lined up to keep them happy indoors, and we might even take a trip to Blockbuster and call tomorrow "Movie Day." With unhealthy air, raging heat and not being allowed to play on the replacement grass in the backyard yet, we're in for a looooong week indoors! I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the kids working on their projects...wish me luck! As for today, I've got a super busy day of work, and then an elaborate fruit salsa and cold chicken dinner to get prepared early (you know, for that hard working Daddy who's spent all day in this funky heat). A Mommy's day is always a full one!

No comments: